Saturday 30 August 2014

AUGUST // MONTH IN REVIEW

Noteworthy August goodies

Hi friends!
You may have noticed that I have stopped doing those 'Week In Review's, simply because my week is usually pretty standard and not-overly-fascinating - thus leading to a monotonous repetition of the same products* that you've seen countless times before... But what can I say? I am a creature of habit, after all!

This month was characterised by mad exam-prepping, procrastination at its finest, and a few other unexpected bits and pieces - such as a lovely bit of light reading.

In a Good Light / Rêve de Miel / DDML+

The usual suspects:
Mecca Cosmetica In a Good Light - So, so perfect for the crazy weather we've been experiencing lately. Wonderfully hydrating, quickly absorbed, SPF, and a good dose of illumination to combat dullness and dryness. Totally worthy of HG status for Winter!

Nuxe Rêve de Miel - I know I've already mentioned this nifty jar of goodness nonstop, but it's been getting me through Winter quite nicely - these smooth, non-chapped lips speak for themselves (heh. see what I did there? :P) I've made a significant dent in it now, but it's still nowhere near depleted!

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Lotion+ - I've been reaching for this moisturiser post-shower, as it is soothing and gentle on my dry and sensitive skin. Plus, it's easily absorbed and delightfully hydrating for Winter (though in Summer I do find it a tad emollient).

Color Balm / Cool Water Sea Rose / Radiant Creamy Concealer

The new kids on the block:
Yes To Carrots Color Balm in Soft Plum - My spoils (spoil?) from the Priceline 40% off Skincare Sale last month. Given that I'm technically still on makeup ban, I figured I'd sneak in a little something - I could hardly let the opportunity pass me by! It's a lovely shade of burgundy - 'soft plum' is quite an accurate description. I was tossing up between getting this one, or the Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm in another colour. At a fraction of the cost of Burt's Bees' offering (which I adore), I had my fingers crossed that this would be almost as good, or just as good. It's not bad, but unfortunately it's not as moisturising or long lasting - you get what you pay for, I guess! Though I must say that at $6, Yes To Carrots is far more enticing than $15 for Burt's, plus I got mine for 40% off.

Davidoff Cool Water Sea Rose EDT - I've been wearing this all month and I really love it - I kid you not, I'm not even sick of it yet! I'll admit that this was another winner that I pinched off Mother's dresser... It's a lovely fresh fruity-ish rose scent that reminds me of Marc Jacobs' Daisy mixed with Dot? Something like that. Plus it's only $29 for 100mls from Priceline! Win.

NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Custard - I mentioned this one a little while back and it's about time I did a proper review of it (coming soon). I've been using it nonstop since I bought it, and have absolutely no complaints - I'm glad to report that it does live up to the hype! It's been my go-to remedy for dark circles, and it lasts all day.

Tangle Teezer / Blow Dry Faster

The, erm, old kids on the block that I've been loving:
Tangle Teezer Compact Styler in Feline Groovy - I bought this a while back and stopped using it after a little bit - I was reminded of why I don't normally use a hairbrush in the first place. What really grosses me out is when lint and hair and other gross stuff collect in the bristles - I can't stand the thought of brushing it back into my hair! But I've taken to brushing my hair before showering to detangle it beforehand, and I've also been making exceptions when my hair is so disgustingly greasy that it doesn't make a difference anyway. I've been amazed at the ease with which it detangles and brushes out knots painlessly.

Cedel Blow Dry Faster - This has been an absolute godsend this Winter, as it usually takes ages for my hair to dry - plus, I've been washing my hair later in the evening, or even late at night, because I can't stand how yucky it feels (ah, the joys of being caught in the rain!). With this hardworking spray I can blow-dry my hair straight without brushes or combs in a few short minutes - #totesamaze is an understatement.

The none-of-the-aboves:
'The Minimal Wardrobe' - Lately I've been intrigued with the idea of creating a harmonious streamlined 'capsule' wardrobe, where each piece perfectly complements the others. After a brief appraisal of my wardrobe, I was less than thrilled with the amount of clothes I have that I don't wear (and probably won't ever wear). I have a right mind to just start again from scratch (Jokes. Too expensive!) But more to come on that topic, so stay tuned.

The Messenger by Markus Zusak - (I borrowed the book and have since returned it, so apologies for the lack of visuals.) I'd been intending to read this since it was recommended to me by a lady I met camping way back in January (Camping. Yeah - who'd have thought?) I thoroughly enjoyed it - it's beautifully written and tugs on the heartstrings so delicately, in a most unassuming manner. It's also very typically-Australian, and a great Young Adults' pick. I found it difficult to extract myself from the world within the pages of the novel once I had finished reading it!


What was your August like? I hope it was a good 'un! :) x


*Sorry if you actually enjoyed those posts!

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh I can't wait until your NARS concealer post. I'm so incredibly close to picking it up (because I absolutely need something that wot emphasis my lines!) but the price is putting me off! I'm willing to spend on skincare but when it comes to make up, I weigh up the pros and cons way tooooo much ahah.

    I just cracked open my Nuxe lip balm and it smells divine! Actually, did you get a code in the box? Something like the privilege code?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, it's been a long time coming, I know! Oooh, I recommend it :D Test it out in person first, though. If you apply too much it could crease, as it's quite creamy. It's been my fave for Winter! Haha, really? I'm the complete opposite :P Actually, I tend to weight up the pros and cons for everything!

      Ah, nice! Does it remind you of lemon curd? Or maybe that's just me haha.
      Hmmm. I'll have to dig out the box and check... I don't think so? What's it for? I bought mine waaaaay back in March!

      Delete
    2. I actually have no idea what the code is all about! I thought maybe you'd know! LOL.

      Delete
    3. Oh dear, haha, I've got no clue! I don't even remember where I stashed the box :/
      Is there anything about it on the website? :) x

      Delete