Wednesday 2 July 2014

TREADING A FINE LINE //



I'm sure it's no secret by now that I'm incredibly lazy when it comes to makeup. I prefer multitasking products that aren't fussy or fiddly, and would rather go barefaced if it's not some kind of special occasion. I've had this duo for about five months now, and have only used it a handful of times - after all, gel eyeliner doesn't exactly fit into that (lazy girl) category! However, it is my only option that will go the distance. I'm not a huge fan of Maybelline Master Precise Liquid Eyeliner because it just doesn't stay, nor Rimmel Soft Kohl Kajal Eyeliner Pencil, unless I want something soft and smudgy.

MAC Fluidline stays put better than the other two mentioned above, though it's not infallible. It goes on well with the Ecotools Bamboo Angled Eyeliner Brush, though if I've applied foundation or moisturiser to my eyelids, I can be sure that it will take longer to dry. And chances of smudging it before it does so also increases! I like that they're a versatile pair - from a simple slick along the lash line to something trickier, such as a kitten flick, this duo can do it all (it's just me that's less skilled). Once dried MAC Fluidline does last several hours (9+), though I'd prefer it if it were totally budge-proof. Granted, I ought to take into account my frequent eye rubbing/touching, which does play a huge part! And it should also be noted that my eyes lend to the smudging, as they're kind of double eyelid-ed, but they fold over like hooded eyes. That probably didn't make a lot of sense, but basically, it leads to a tendency for eyeliner to transfer to my upper eyelid, or smudge to underneath my eye (resulting in that 'panda' look. Cute.)


It's housed in a weighty glass jar that fits nicely in my hand. It's also durable, I found, as I dropped it on bathroom tiles from a significant height and it survived without a scratch (klutz!). Given that you only need a teeny-weeny bit of product each time, the 3g is sure to last a while. While 3g doesn't seem like much, it's actually quite generous given that you only use a smidgen at a time. For $32, I don't think it's unreasonable. And so far I've had no issues with it drying out. My only gripe is that it's not the most portable due it's weight, but that's a minor issue, given that I wouldn't necessarily take it out with me for touch ups (though more relevant if I were going on a trip).

The Ecotools Bamboo Angled Eyeliner Brush is my 'weapon of choice' - it's firm enough to draw a line; tapered enough to allow control to do a fine flick - and cheap as chips, to top it off. For me, getting a defined edge during the 'flicking' can be a challenge, because sometimes I'll use too much product and other times not enough, so it doesn't end up looking sharp and tapered - but only a bad craftsman blames his tools, right? I'll get the hang of it eventually! Below I've done a sample of the various lines that can be achieved with the pair - from very fine to very thick. Apologies that the line isn't as smooth as I'd intended - the brush is due for cleaning.

Which reminds me that I should mention the downside to using a brush (which is practically unavoidable) - be prepared to clean the brush frequently, as the gel eyeliner cakes around the bristles as it dries, causing the brush to become stiff, and making it a challenge to get a clean line. Plus, the dried eyeliner could also flake into tiny little flecks and fall under your eye if you persist in using a dirty brush, leading to the dreaded 'flaky panda look' (something I learned the hard way!). Moral of the story: wash the brush often! I also alternate the Ecotools Eyeliner Brush with an Elf Cosmetics Angled Eyeliner Brush, which creates a very thin line (I purchased mine from iherb).


Overall I find the Fluidline a great eyeliner option that is affordable and lasts the distance, though it may be somewhat tricky to get the hang of at first (though again, maybe it's just me!).

Do you use gel eyeliner?
What's your pick? x

2 comments:

  1. Ahah mine smudges all the time as well because I have hooded eyes that slant downwards. Bahhh. I also find it difficult to do the perfect flick! I'm not sure what the reason is because I even have a slanted brush which is supposed to help make things easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I feel your pain! Asian eyes...sigh.
      I'm blaming it on my lack of skill, though I'm not sure if I should be blaming the brush, too :P I prefer using liquid liner to do the flick, but it's such a pain to switch between products (too much effort lol).

      Delete