Tuesday 17 June 2014

TASTY TUESDAYS // CHAKCHOUKA


After making the cobb loaf a fortnight ago, I thought I'd give cooking another go - this time a middle Eastern 'breakfast' called Chakchouka, featuring tomato, onion and capsicum. Think of it more as a salsa, rather than poached eggs...
I followed this recipe from Taste.com.au, and while 'successful' to some extent, mine didn't turn out anywhere near as pretty as the photo!

How the photo from Taste.com.au looked:



How mine looked:

Hmmm... I suppose I need to work on presentation...

I followed the instructions exactly (though I omitted the fresh chilli and used chilli flakes instead, so it wasn't as spicy), and although users in the comment section recommended only using one and a half cans of tomato, I used two, as per the instructions. It was more liquid-y, I suppose, but it didn't really bother me. I've been having the left overs on lavash bread, which I bought to have with it - it's lovely with avocado. Next time I'd probably not poach the eggs unless I was eating it immediately. Cold eggs the next day aren't so nice - nor are cold eggs in salsa, for the record! Another way to tweak it could be adding mince and making nachos, mmmmm.

If you're a fan of salsa or spices, I'd recommend this for a healthy meal (to me, it wasn't really a 'brekkie' kind of dish).

No comments:

Post a Comment